You are on an adventure, streaming, moto vlogging, recording timelapse, every memory bit matters and you won’t like your gopro dying out on you. Have been there so many times and I have come up with many solutions to power your gopro with an external power supply.
Still, recording for only 45 minutes with an internal gopro battery? then this article will help you capture events non-stop without the need of charging or changing batteries all day long, no matter the weather.
Table of Contents
- 1 Can GoPro run on external power?
- 2 What to Look for in a Gopro External power supply
- 3 Things needed when using a power bank as a Gopro External Power Source
- 4 Best Gopro External power supply
- 5 GOPRO POWER BANKS for Hero9, 8, 7, 6, 5 & 4
- 6 Type of GoPro Powerbank Cable
- 7 Cons Of Using A Gopro External Power Supply
Can GoPro run on external power?
A Gopro can run on external power if the power source meets the required current and voltage which is 5V/2A. It can be connected via USB Type C to an external power source, such as a powerbank, Multi-port AC USB hub, Wall Charger, Car charger, Solar charger, etc. . The Gopro HERO9, HERO8 Black, HERO7 Black, and HERO6 Black can turn on and record Without the internal battery as far as the external power source is connected, the moment that the power bank is depicted or the power source is cut, the camera will turn off. Note: It won’t turn back on automatically when the power source is restored.
What to Look for in a Gopro External power supply
- Compact and lightweight
- High Power Capacity i.e 26000mAh and above
- Multiple USB outputs with at least a 1.5A 5V output
- High-Quality Li-Ion battery cells
- Durable and Portable
- Automatic power Shortoff when the battery is fully charged while using it
Things needed when using a power bank as a Gopro External Power Source
- I recommend a gopro power supply bank (I Use Anker PowerCore 26800mAh External Battery)
- Type-C Gopro Charging Cable
- X~PWR H8 All-Weather External Power Kit (this is optional)
- Ulanzi G8-7 Battery Cover Removable Type-C Charging Port Adapter(this is optional and use this if you are using Hero9) but advantage so you can leave your internal battery in place as a safety net in case the external power stops flowing. The Ulanzi G8-7 Battery cover reduces shock and pressure while protecting your gopro battery and camera from damage. It gives you access to USB port while the battery and SD card are safely covered by the door, without the fear of the battery falling out.
Best Gopro External power supply
All gopro external Power Source listed here outputs the recommended voltage and current which is 5V 2A. I made this post to help you choose a power bank that will be compatible with your gopro which includes all HERO9, HERO8, HERO7, HERO6
GOPRO POWER BANKS for Hero9, 8, 7, 6, 5 & 4
I have dedicated a blog post for the best gopro power banks here, but here is a short list
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 50 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Precise Power Display: Always know how much capacity left when you press the power button with this digital LED display
- Pass Through Charging: Support charge and discharge at the same time. The function is activated by pressing the button for 2 seconds while the power bank is recharging itself.
The 26800mah Anker Powercore has been with me on every trip and has never failed. It has an Incredible Capacity but is portable. It’s a staple for my Gopro Hero9. It 3-Port with PowerIQ Technology helps in charging other gadgets.
Type of GoPro Powerbank Cable
Here’s a list of suitable USB cables for charging gopro with an external power source.
- GoPro HERO9 Black, GoPro HERO8 Black, GoPro HERO6 use a USB-C Cable
- Micro-USB B Cable if you have a GoPro HERO Session
- Mini-USB (USB Mini-B (5 pin): For Owners GoPro HERO4 Black, GoPro HERO3+GoPro HERO3 etc
Cons Of Using A Gopro External Power Supply
Good as it may sound, powering your gopro with an external power source has some disadvantage
When recording, the battery will not charge if connected to any external power supply. It will only start charging when you stop recording.
- You cannot record if you use your computer as an external power source.
- Be aware that your gopro will not be waterproof because the door is open. Though I don’t leave my battery door hanging open, because I leave my battery inside when connected to my type-c USB cable with the help of an Ulanzi G8-7 Battery door charger port cover. which can reduce shock and pressure while protecting the battery and camera from damage.
- Risk overheating or frying your gopro with a wrong voltage power source (i.e Use only 2V 1A Power Source)
- Portability is an issue here, considering how bulky some power banks can be
How many amps does it take to charge a GoPro?
It takes a minimum of 1.5 amp to charge a gopro but the recommend power source for Gopro is 5V/2A
Can I leave my GoPro charging overnight?
Can I charge my GoPro with my phone charger?
Can I charge a GoPro with a switch charger?
Is there a longer lasting GoPro battery?
Why is my GoPro battery dying so fast?