The depth at which you can dive with a GoPro camera depends on the model and the type of housing you are using.
The type of housing build determines how strong it can withstand water pressure as you go deep down underwater without the casket leaking or damaging the camera.
There are mainly two types of Housing :
- The Standard Housing: This is the housing that comes packed with your GoPro out of the box, it gives you an effective depth rating of about 40 meters or 131 Feets
- The Waterproof Housing: This housing has an effective depth rating of about 60 meters or 197 Feet. Whether you are using a GoPro Hero 4 or 3, it is effective scuba diving. The new Model called the SuperSuit is compatible for use with both Gopro Hero 7, 6 and Hero6.
- Ultimate protection for your HERO6 Black or HERO5 Black during extreme outdoor activities and deep-water diving
How deep can GoPro 7 go underwater?
In Summary, the GoPro Hero4 is only waterproof to a depth of 131ft with a Standard Housing while a Gopro Hero 5 or GoPro Hero7 out of the box is Waterproof to a depth of 33ft and to a depth of 197ft with a super suit casing
Here is a chart of how deep a Gopro Camera can go underwater without risking any damage to the camera.
|Dive Housing||197 feet||60 meters|
|Dive Housing with BacPac Backdoor||197 feet||60 meters|
|Standard Housing with the Standard BacPac Backdoor||131 feet||40 meters|
|Super Suit||197 feet||60 meters|
Here are some tips that will help you keep your GoPro safe underwater
- Before diving with your GoPro, verify that the white rubber gasket is leak-proof and free from dirt to ensure the integrity of the waterproof case.
- Here is a guide to show how to prep you GoPro before a dive
- Ensure that you push the backdoor all the way in to ensure that the camera is fully sealed and secure the black latch on the top of the case.
- When using your GoPro in saltwater, ensure that you wash your GoPro housing with fresh water to remove salt residue.
- Is the GoPro hero 7 white waterproof without a case?
Yes, The GoPro hero 7 white is waterproof to a depth of 33ft right out of the box
- How deep can a Gopro hero 5 go?
A GoPro Hero5 Can go to a depth of 33ft without a case and can go to a depth of 197ft with a supersuit casing
- Is GoPro 6 waterproof without housing?
Like the predecessors, the GoPro 6 is waterproof to a depth of 33ft without a housing
- Can you scuba dive with a GoPro?
Most recreational scuba divers only dive as deep as 130 feet (40 meters) which is a range the GoPro can reach even with a standard housing, but ensure to use underwater video lights to ensure you get vivid imagery down there.
- Is GoPro session waterproof?
Gopro Session the rave in town is waterproof right out of the box to a depth of 33ft, beyond that, you will need a special housing like this .