There are many ways you could clean your gopro easily leaving no fingerprints, dust, smudges or streaks. That why in this post I will show you how to effective clean you gopro from dirt, accidental finger print or salt water and precautions to take to avoid scratching or damaging your camera.
Table of Contents
How to Clean your Gopro
Generally after using your camera in salt water or muddy environment, you be left with grains of sand and dirt all of the body and lens:
The first step is to simply remove the camera from its case taking care to avoid considerable pieces of dirt and sand
Rinse it your gopro with luke warm fresh water, preferably running water to loosen up debris, salt and sand.
- If the dirt is hard to get off, soak your gopro for at least 15 minutes to get it off.
Once the gopro is reasonably dry – spray a light coat of Rain-X Coat on thelens and the outer part of the case only. Wipe clean and dry with your screen/lens cloth. This helps prevent water, bubble up in front of the lens.
- Then dry it with a soft lint-free cloth preferably a recommended microfiber Cloth
The reason cotton cloths or wool are ok for use in cleaning your gopro is that, they all seem to shed cotton fibers which can lead to leaks in the rubber seal. 🙂
- Avoid scratches on your lens surface at all cost by blowing of the debris first with compressed air especially when cleaning the lens. Don’t use your breath because it contains some chemical that can affect the coating on your lens.
- Avoid inserting any foreign object
- Be sure to take to protect any exposed ports from water especially when removing the doors
TIPs: Always Use Screen protectors for gopros to prevent scratches on the front and back screen would
What is the best GoPro Lens Cleaner?
- I usually recommend using a recommended microfiber Cloth when cleaning your lens, the dont use an isopropyl alcohol product to avoid the strange smudgy look on the outside of your lens which damages your outer coating.
- If debris becomes lodged between your lens and the trim ring, flush it out with water or air. Please dont peak on your lens with foreign objects to avoid lines or scratches.
Alcohol Free Gopro Lens Cleaner
There is a very small and practical: easy to use tool, you can check it out here: this will come out and go back in your pocket in a second. Cleaning lens is important to increase their life, plus filming outdoor can mean dust and dirt.
I recommend Cleaning your GoPro lens safely, easily and quickly with GoPole Lenspen – Compact Lens Cleaner for GoPro HERO Cameras – This is a pen-like brush tool with a flexible chamois cleaning tip that removes fingerprints, dust and blemishes.
Why I Just love this tool for cleaning my lens
- It fits in you pocket or case.
- No need any spray of chemical – essentially have avoided the usage of alcohol as a cleaning agent.
- It is quick, very precise! and easy to use.
First, clean your lens , then simply wipe away excess with the retractable ultra fine brush.
Gopro Lenspen has a chamois on it tips and the other end is a retractable fine bristle brush. You’ll never struggle with cleaning cloths again, I will recommend you add this to your bag right away!
Remember Cleaner lens = clearer footage!
If the buttons are sticking, remove the side door and repeatedly press the button under running water to dislodge debris from the button crevices.
after Cleaning Your Gopro, ensure your blow out water and debris from the microphone holes, this is to ensure best audio performance. Avoid using compressed air to avoid damage to the internal waterproof membrane of your mic hole.
Cleaning Heavily Dried Mud on your Gopro
Sometimes you think, rinsing your gopro casing with water isnt enough for the stickiest mud and other crap, but the good old warm water will always do the trick.
You dont need to use any sort of cleaning products. Just Soak your gopro in warm water for like 15 minutes, and use a spray nozzle to clean out stubborn debris from the cracks. To avoid blurry image afterwards, avoid rubbing too hard on the lens area, else you will scratch it.
Cleaning out white residue from your Battery Door and Side Door
Hero 6 and 7 is good without a dive housing for like 10m but athe aftermath of using your gopro without a casing in the ocean or salt water results in the formation of white salt like residue behind your battery door and side door. Usually this formation, become visible after days of initial cleaning.
You may have asked whats the best way to clean it out in order to maintain the internal metal hardware
To clean up dry salt build up in the battery area after using it in the ocean:
- Use agopole lenspen to brush off the salt residue
- Then Re-wash your gopro again with warm water avoiding the silicone seal
Do you have any tools or tips to prolong the life of your gear! please do share in the comment section below
HERO7 BLACK, HERO6 Black, HERO5 Black, HERO (2018), Fusion, HERO5 Session, HERO Session, HERO4 Black, HERO4 Silver, HERO+LCD, HERO, HERO3+, HERO3, HERO2, HD HERO, SMARTPHONES & TABLET