Sometimes you’ll need a protective housing for your gopro housing that fits you need, this guide will help you choose between the Gopro Housing Available:-
- GoPro Standard Housing
- Gopro Dive Housing
This article will help you choose the best gopro housing that will help protect your gopro while capturing crisp images your underwater activities.
We will concentrate on
- The depth each GoPro Housing can go
- The clarity of the lens
- Rigidity and some note on using your GoPro underwater
Table of Contents
- 1 GoPro Standard Housing
- 2 GoPro Dive Housing
- 3 Key Take Away
- 4 GoPro Housing (Dive) Depth Rating Table
- 5 Dive Housing with BacPac Backdoor197 Feet60 Meters Standard Housing with the Standard BacPac Backdoor131 Feet40 Meters Standard Housing with a Touch BacPac Backdoor 10 Feet3 Meters
- 6 Thing to Note Before using a Gopro Housing
GoPro Standard Housing
The GoPro Standard Housing is a protective covering for your GoPro, making it more wearable and mountable than ever
It helps your take pictures underwater and is waterproof to a depth of about 131’(40m),
The official GoPro Standard Housing comes with a Flat glass lens producing superior image sharpness above and below water.
GoPro Dive Housing
The power of the GoPro Dive Housing is in capturing focus sharp images, underwater in all resolutions. It comes with a new flat lens that helps corrects the blurry pictures of unique species often taken by scuba divers or during any underwater sports.
This flat glass lens is free of vignetting, which assist in reducing the number of ruined action shots.
Comparing the Standard Housing with the dive housing shows that the later has extra space which eases the insertion of the anti fog moisture absorbent strips into the housing
The GoPro Dive housing is Waterproof to a depth of 60m, twenty meters deeper than the standard housing. It is ideally the best GoPro housing for snorkeling, diving, and any underwater filming scenario
Key Take Away
- The Standard Housing and Dive Housing are compatible with all model of gopro, except the gopro session and are both waterproof underwater.
- Both are made with Superior Flat glass lens to produce crispy image void of vignette.
- They are light weight and slick in design.
- The GoPro Dive housing is thicker to withstand greater pressure and more spacious than the GoPro standard housing.
- The difference is that the standard GoPro is waterproof down to 131 feet (40 meters) and well suited for activities like snorkeling while the Dive Housing is designed for deep sea diving and extreme activities and is waterproof to 197′ (60 meters).
GoPro Housing (Dive) Depth Rating Table
Dive Housing with BacPac Backdoor 197 Feet 60 Meters
Standard Housing with the Standard BacPac Backdoor 131 Feet 40 Meters
Standard Housing with a Touch BacPac Backdoor 10 Feet 3 Meters
Thing to Note Before using a Gopro Housing
- Avoid all GoPro housing that comes with a curved lens; it causes soft images underwater and a slight loss of sharpness with use in capturing images underwater.
- Before using your GoPro standard or dive housing underwater, make sure there is no dirt or debris along the white rubber gasket which could compromise the integrity of the waterproof case.
- Always push the housing backdoor all the way in sealed before securing the black latch on the top of the case, to ensure that the camera is safe and waterproof.
- Diving in salt water? Always ensure your wash the housing with fresh water to avoid corroding of the latch
Remember, using this gopro housing reduces the captured sound quality and hinders you from accessing your usb and mic jack
Note: Whether you are getting the GoPro standard housing or the GoPro dive housing it all serve the same purpose; but if you are taking down a depth of more that 40 meters then the obvious choice is the GoPro dive housing.